Rookwood Weir is on track to provide new economic and employment opportunities for the agricultural industry and the community of Central Queensland.
On this page:
- About Rookwood Weir
- Water planning process and timeline
- Business considerations
- Contact us
- More information
About Rookwood Weir
Rookwood Weir is a $568.9 million water infrastructure investment to drive new economic and employment opportunities for the agricultural industry and the community of Central Queensland.
The Queensland and Australian Governments have contributed $183.6 million each to the total spend, and Sunwater is funding the remainder.
The thousands of megalitres of water that Rookwood Weir will make available will underpin agricultural, industrial and urban growth in Central Queensland.
We are working alongside Sunwater to ensure that our water planning supports the water products Sunwater brings to market. To find out more about the Rookwood Weir project or accessing water from Sunwater’s scheme, visit the project page, or contact the Sunwater team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1800 423 213.
Location of Rookwood Weir within the Fitzroy Basin water plan area.
Google map co-ordinates: Rookwood Weir 23°32'30.8"S 150°00'56.6"E
Rookwood Weir crest height optimisation
Through the detailed design process, Sunwater with its design and construction partners identified an opportunity to raise the crest height of Rookwood weir – optimising the yield the weir will deliver. The Queensland and Australian Governments have committed to funding this improvement to ensure Rookwood Weir delivers for Central Queensland.
Find out more about the height optimisation on Sunwater’s project page.
Water planning process and timeline
To support operation of the Rookwood Weir Water Supply Scheme, we have worked alongside Sunwater to amend the Fitzroy Basin water management protocol (PDF, 3.0MB).
Amendments to the water management protocol are completed and include changed rules to:
- permitted water allocation dealings, including minimum and maximum volume zone limits for the water supply scheme
- prohibited water allocation dealings
- announcement periods for unsupplemented water allocations in the Fitzroy Water Management area.
Timeline for Fitzroy Basin water planning and Rookwood Weir
|Establishment of Fitzroy Basin water plan
|Consultation on statement of proposals to amend the Fitzroy Basin water plan to include Rookwood Weir
|April to June 2020
|Rookwood Weir water market engagement by Sunwater
|Rookwood Weir design completed by Sunwater
|End of 2020
|Rookwood Weir construction starts
|Final water plan amendment
|Amendments made to the water management protocol (PDF, 3.0MB), to support operational rules for the Rookwood Weir Water Supply Scheme
|Resource Operations Licence (PDF, 250.2KB) and operations manual (PDF, 2.3MB) for the Rookwood Weir Water Supply Scheme amended and replaced.
|Rookwood Weir commissioned and operational
Investment opportunities and the water allocation offer process are being managed by Sunwater on behalf of the Queensland Government.
For more information on the offer process, read about Sunwater’s Rookwood Weir Project water plan and sales.
Sunwater has already conducted two successful tender processes and contracted a large portion of the available water allocations – so it you are considering securing water from Rookwood Weir to grow your business, you should contact Sunwater. Before you begin, you should obtain independent professional advice relevant for your business.
Below are some starting points for you to consider:
- Find out more about approvals to clear native vegetation.
- Read about development approvals for water-related works.
- Access the one-stop service for agribusiness development tools and support.
- Understand your obligations to protect the Great Barrier Reef.
- Read Sunwater’s overview of landholder opportunities (PDF, 4.7MB) in the region.
- Read about land management.
- Understand the regulations for capturing and storing overland flow water.
- Visit the Queensland Farmers’ Federation for advice on energy efficient irrigation practices.
If you require any further information or wish to discuss the Rookwood Weir project with someone from the department, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Find out more about water management in the Fitzroy Basin.
- Get updates on the Rookwood Weir project, or call Sunwater on 1800 423 213 or email email@example.com.
- Read about the review of the Fitzroy Basin water plan which is currently underway.
Last updated: 01 Nov 2023