Mary Basin water plan
The process to replace the Water Plan (Mary Basin) 2006 has commenced. We need to develop a replacement plan to address current and emerging issues within the water plan area in order for us to continue the sustainable management of water in the basin.
Preliminary public consultation notice
Submissions on the preliminary public consultation notice closed on 30 July 2021. We will consider all submissions as we develop the replacement Mary Basin water plan.
Postponement of water plan expiry date
A notice has been gazetted to postpone the expiry date of the Water Plan (Mary Basin) 2006 to 28 May 2024.
Postponing the expiry date will allow the department to complete technical assessments and undertake consultation to replace the water plan.
Consultation with stakeholders
Early and ongoing engagement is a critical component in the review and development of the replacement water plan. We are engaging with people to help the community understand the water plan development process, discuss issues and opportunities, and ultimately improve the plan itself.
Engagement provides the opportunity to draw on people’s collective knowledge, and to build collaborative support and involvement in the water planning process. We believe that through active, genuine and cooperative engagement we will achieve a sustainable water plan for the Mary Basin.
How we will engage and communicate
A targeted engagement strategy is being used by the department during development of the replacement water plan as it will:
- enable more detailed, focused and efficient discussion of matters that were identified in the Preliminary Public Consultation Notice and submissions received on this notice with relevant stakeholder groups
- provide a safe and constructive environment for collaborative stakeholder involvement.
A variety of engagement activities and communication tools will be used during the development of the replacement water plan, for example:
- individual meetings with stakeholder groups and communities
- on country meetings with Traditional Owners
- meetings during the draft water plan public consultation and submission phase
- presentations at peak industry water engagement forums
- website and social media communication
- publication of technical and research reports.
If you need any further information or wish to discuss the Mary Basin water plan with someone from the department, please contact us.
- Phone – (07) 5352 4216
- Email – email@example.com
Find out more about water management in the Mary Basin area.
Last updated: 05 Nov 2021