Compliments and customer complaints

At the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water we want to hear your feedback – good or bad – to help us ensure we are delivering quality services.

How can I provide a compliment or complaint?

You can:

  • submit online via the Queensland Government webform
  • by email to the department at
  • by phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
  • use the link on our social media platforms
  • in person to one of our staff
  • by writing to:
    • Compliments and complaints
      Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water
      PO Box 15009
      City East, Qld 4002

What if I need help?

If you experience problems accessing any of the information on our site, please contact us and we will try our best to fix the problem or provide the information in an alternative format. There are also services available to assist you if you need help to provide feedback.

Advice on accessing services for vision or hearing impairments National Relay Service | Directory is available here and advice on translator and interpreter services is available here. Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National)

Who can complain?

Everyone has the right to complain and there's no charge to make a complaint. You can make a complaint on your own, jointly with someone else or have another person (such as a family member, friend or advocate) act on your behalf.

You can also make a complaint anonymously. Please try to provide as much information as possible, so that we can properly make inquiries and take any necessary action.

What can I complain about?

Complaints can be made about a range of issues, including:

  • a decision the department has or has not made
  • a service the department has or has not provided
  • a policy, product or project of the department
  • the behaviour of our staff
  • an alleged limitation of your human rights under the Human Rights Act 2019.

What should I do first?

If you have a complaint or other feedback, there are some steps that can help us to help you:

  • Act quickly—please tell us about any problems as soon as possible. The earlier you tell us, the sooner we can act.
  • Go local—many concerns can be resolved quickly and easily by speaking with our local staff or the service provider in the first instance.
  • Make it clear—describe the issue and tell us everything that’s relevant in the order it happened. This might include dates, times, what action has been taken so far and any supporting information. Also make sure you tell us what outcome you’re seeking or the action you would like us to take.
  • Keep us informed—please tell us about any changes that may affect your complaint, including if help is no longer required.

When is the department unable to manage a complaint?

We value all feedback, but there may be times when we're unable to manage your complaint. This may include if:

  • a matter is being dealt with by an external complaint agency, court or tribunal
  • it's not possible to establish the department's jurisdiction in the matter
  • the complaint is abusive, threatening or contains offensive language.

What happens to my complaint?

Your complaint will be acknowledged in three working days and assessed for action and we may contact you for further information.

All personal information that we collect to manage complaints will be handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009. Find out more about privacy.

We will use the information and issues raised in your complaint, and other feedback we receive, to learn, grow and improve our business.

How long will it take?

We will try to action your complaint as quickly as possible.

We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days and respond within 30 working days.

If your issue is complex or involves a human rights complaint, a more detailed investigation may be needed. This may take up to 45 working days and we will keep you informed of progress, if needed.

Further action

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can request an internal review.

Requests will need to be made in writing to within 20 working days of receiving the department’s response.

An internal review will be conducted by an officer who is independent of and more senior than the original decision maker. They will review the process and the facts of the original decision or action and decide if it was correct. An internal review does not generally involve a reinvestigation of the complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman or the Queensland Human Rights Commission.

Complaints about the Director-General

The department is committed to managing complaints that are suspected to involve, or may involve, corrupt conduct of the Director-General in a manner that maintains transparency and integrity.

Complaints of this nature are managed ethically in accordance with obligations under section 48A of the Crime and Corruption Act 2001.

Any complaint or concern which involves or may involve the Director-General as the department’s public official can be made:

  • to the Chief Human Resources Officer as the department’s nominated person
    • by email:
    • in writing:
      • Strictly Private and Confidential
        Chief Human Resources Officer
        Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water
        GPO Box 2247
        BRISBANE QLD 4001
  • by phone: 0460007291
  • directly to the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC)

Further information

Last updated: 25 Jan 2024