Enhanced regulatory approach
We are reviewing existing regulatory frameworks to identify any changes that might be required to support improved compliance and water measurement.
Water Act changes:
- established a new offence for taking more water, or taking water at a greater rate, than authorised by the water entitlement
- increased the penalty for failure to comply with a water compliance notice
- clarified liability for entitlement holders sharing an unsupplemented water meter
- supported additional processes for ensuring unsupplemented water meter faults are identified and repaired.
The next phase of regulatory changes are likely to focus on enhancements to water metering rules and arrangements. This will happen after the measurement policy has been finalised.
Projects and timelines
|Regulatory changes to support implementation of the measurement and overland flow policies||2021–2023|
|Develop and publish communication materials and other resources to support entitlement holders to meet requirements under the strengthened measurement policy framework||From 2022|
|Amend regulations to enhance faulty meter reporting and meter validation requirements||Completed February 2019|
|Review legislation and policies to identify possible enhancements to water compliance arrangements||Completed 2019|
- Find out more about water metering in Queensland.
- Find out more about consultation on non-urban water management policy proposals.
Last updated: 06 Dec 2021