Feedback, compliments and complaints

Your feedback is important to us. The department places a high value on feedback from its clients and the public generally.

Our department:

  • encourages feedback about how we carry out our business
  • takes a client-focused approach to how we deal with complaints about our services
  • accepts complaints about our services verbally or in writing
  • uses information from complaints about our services to improve our business processes.

How to lodge compliments, feedback or complaints to the department

The department offers various channels to lodge compliments, feedback or complaints on the department's products, services, policies or actions.

If you need assistance to lodge compliments, feedback or complaints, there are services available including:

Timeframes for complaints

All complaints will be acknowledged within two working days of receipt. Customer complaints will generally be responded to within fifteen working days, with a response to urgent matters generally provided within five working days.

Complaints made under the Human Rights Act 2019 and the Information Privacy Act 2009 will be responded to within 45 business days as required under legislation.

Human rights complaints

From 1 January 2020, you can make a complaint if you believe your human rights have been breached by the department. Complaints can only be made for breaches that occur after 1 January 2020.

If you have not received a response within 45 business days, or believe the response is inadequate, you can then lodge a complaint with the Queensland Human Rights Commission for independent resolution.

Review process

If you are not happy with the outcome of your customer complaint, you can request an internal review. Your request should be in writing if possible and lodged within 28 days of you receiving the decision about your complaint. The internal review will be conducted by an officer at an equivalent level or more senior to the original decision-maker who has had no involvement with your complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you can lodge a complaint with the Queensland Ombudsman.

Further information

Last updated: 05 Dec 2022